Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thoughts...An Addendum & One Picture

Thanks, Wendy, for your comment on my Bushman post. Perhaps the excerpt sounded strange because I did not share enough of my thoughts on it or provide appropriate context for it. Yes, Sister Bushman's vision is a bit fantastic--she's not entirely serious. She's taking a bit of artistic license with hyperbole and sarcasm at times.

But I love the thought of Mormon women around the world taking in interest in writing their own personal scriptures--recording their activities, thoughts, experiences and testimonies. That is exactly what scriptures are, after all (except that historically the experiences of women largely were not recorded--or maybe some of them were and we just don't have them yet).

I think it's exciting to think of "the Shakespeares and Dantes of Mormondom" arriving on the scene. That's something I'd welcome and I love the thought of Tess having someone like that to look up to and emulate.

And the thought of Tess with a golden pencil makes me smile--I want to encourage her to see value in and record her thoughts and experiences. Where I can buy a golden pencil?

The final implications Sister Bushman lists impressed me:

1. Generations of wise women will arise.
2. No one will die unrecorded.

Ever since I worked on transcribing my great-great-great grandfather's journal, I've wished there was similar record of my great-great-great grandmother, Jane Sharp. I know so little about her life--it's hard to imagine what it was like.

So, when I say I want to be part of Sister Bushman's vision, I guess what I mean is that I want to write--I want to record. I think we're all contributing to that vision with our blogs--I love reading about each of your daily lives. Believe it or not, this is the stuff history is made of. As Ann commented on one of Laura's posts, we are going to be so pleased have these records, to have these memories written down.

I talked with Wendy yesterday and she has me excited about new projects (at least she understands me--was she meant to be my mother-in-law, or what?). I'm going to start transcribing an oral history: interviews she did with her mother, Virginia, a while ago. And Wendy may even let me do an oral history project on her--that would be amazing!

Tess needs legions of wise women to emulate!

That's it--so if it still sounds strange, I guess that just means I'm strange. If that's the sad case, then I offer a video of Tess as recompense (she'd be able to flip all the way over if it weren't for that durned arm of hers):

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I'm honored by the comments. I do indeed hope that Tess grows up to wield a "golden pencil." In the meanwhile, I am just hoping she learns to turn over without damaging her arm.

xo Nana

Maureen said...

Mostly what I thought was strange was the bit about being reincarnated as a hamster, or sharing babysitting to write a Gothic romance. I wasn't sure if this lady was serious or not!

But, I absolutely agree that our stories and thoughts should be documented and shared. That's the whole reason I scrapbook! Most of the time, I write all my "journaling" before I even choose which photos to use.

Your project sounds awesome! Write, record, and long live the thinking Mormon woman!

PS love that Tess!

Ryan said...

Actually, my ward does have a writer's club--one of my friends is working on a novel; another is writing a memoir based on her father's life; and another is plugging away at a mystery thriller. So go figure!

Mir