Saturday, March 6, 2010

Trigger Happy

Good news from my appointment this morning: I think we're finally ready!



My doctor kept me on the meds for a couple more days with the hope that a few more of the smaller follicles would catch up in size.

Mature follicles are 16-20 mm in size. I now have 6 follicles about that size, and 4 smaller ones. That's still on the on the low end for an ideal IVF cycle, but that's pretty good for me. Last time around they harvested 8 eggs. I had another 300 unit Gonal-f shot before my appointment, so I may still have a little more growth.

So just how big is a 20 mm egg? In my mind, I've been thinking that we're dealing with pretty tiny cells. I was surprised when I whipped out my tape measure! A 20 mm egg is about the size of my fingertip. That's no small potatoes!



Cram a number of them together and it's no wonder I can't zip my jeans. Well, I know it also has something to do with all the crap I've been eating lately. All rules have been completely thrown out the window. Right now in my house I have Hershey's kisses, ice cream, chocolate chips and a blueberry pie. Seriously. It's been bad. Really bad.

I'll start eating healthy again once I find out I'm pregnant, because this junk isn't good for me or a baby. Or once I find out I'm not pregnant, and I can really work on losing weight. Does this make any sense at all? No. Am I eating for comfort because I'm stressed? Yes. Am I gaining tons of weight? Yes. Is this a healthy coping mechanism? No. Do I care? No. Nope. Not at all. I just want it over with.

And we're almost there! I'll get a confirmation call this afternoon once they run my bloodwork, but they're anticipating that my "trigger" shot will be tonight, with retrieval on Monday! ONE last shot!

But boy, is it a doozy of shot! This shot "triggers" the eggs into final maturation and has to be timed exactly 36 hours before retrieval. It is an intramuscular shot in the hip, which means the needle is a beast:



I get a little queasy when I look at it. Wish Ryan luck.

1 comments:

Dipsy said...

That shot is the size of a sewing needle! Ouch!