Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Egg-cellent Day (Ryan titled this post)

Egg retrieval went very well this morning. We dropped off Tess with Nana & Papa about 7:30 am and we were at the Rockville, MD office by 8:45. I was in the operating room at exactly 10:15 am. I did well with the IV sedation--was out like a light in a jiffy and I don't remember a thing.

The doctor retrieved 13 eggs, which is very good for me. Last time they were only able to retrieve 8 eggs. I'm not sure about the maturity and quality of them all, but we'll see how things go.

Right now our cells are cozied up in the petri nursery, hopefully undergoing the initial stages of embryonic cell division. We get a call tomorrow afternoon to let us know how many have fertilized. Ryan was kidding that we should go visit them in the nursery. "Awww, isn't he/she/it so cute? He/she/it has your nucleus!"

The doctor will make a decision on Thursday about whether to transfer them on day 3 or day 5. This depends on how easy it is to tell which are strongest embryos to implant. If there are lots that are doing well, they let them grow in vitro a couple more days to see if they can identify the strongest contenders. If it's clear on day 3 which are the strongest, then they go ahead and transfer on day 3.

My guess is that we'll have a day 3 transfer, which is what they did last time. That puts us back for transfer on Friday.

I'm feeling a little tired & sore, but otherwise I'm doing pretty well. I'm seriously thankful that the hardest part is over. Now it's just a waiting game.

I'm curious to see what the future has in store.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Glad things went smoothly for you and your bakers dozen eggs.

Leslie said...

I'm glad this part is over for you too. It's exciting to see what happens next! I am thinking of you all and keeping you in my prayers...