Monday, February 22, 2010

Hormonal

I'm still waiting for my estrogen and progesterone levels to drop low enough to start the stimulation phase of IVF.
I had an appointment on Fri.--too high.
And one today--going down, but still too high.
I'll go in again on Wed. to see if they've leveled out.

I'm not surprised, but a bit discouraged by my ultrasound results at this point in the cycle. The stimulation drugs don't "create" eggs (all of a woman's eggs exist at the time she is born--isn't that amazing?). The drugs only stimulate growth of the eggs you already have.

The ultrasound shows the number of antral follicles in each ovary, which is a good indicator for estimating the number of immature eggs that can potentially develop in the future.

A normal antral follicle count is between 15-30 follicles. My antral follicle count is 9, which is definitely on the low end of things.

Not really a surprise--my numbers were low last time around too.

The more I dredge up the details, the more I remember what an absolute miracle it is that we have Tess.





4 comments:

Dipsy said...

Since you're going for quality and not quantity, I say things are going to be just fine. Give your little miracle a kiss for me! Love, Dipsy

Unknown said...

((((((hugs)))))

Nana and Papa said...

If you can have one miracle, you can have two! Keeping the good thought.

xo Wendy

Maureen said...

Another miracle-- that she's coloring on paper and not on your walls. You got yourself a good kid there!