Wednesday, February 24, 2010

2010 Peeps Diorama Entry: "Butterstick Comes of Age"

A bit of background for the Washington Outsiders. This little guy has been Washington's sweetheart since he was born in 2005. He's named Tai Shan, but was dubbed "Butterstick" at birth because he weighed about as much as a stick of butter.



Per the Zoo's contract with China, Tai Shan was shipped to China this month to be a permanent installation of the country's panda breeding program. The Washington Post printed this article about Tai Shan's ominous fate.

My diorama depicts the panda parents' (both are Zoo residents) reactions to the article. Mother Mei Xiang is distraught. Father Tian Tian takes a practical approach in teaching Tai Shan about "The Birds and the Peeps."

Pandas are bunny Peeps covered in white and dark chocolate.




It hasn't been a great day for parenting, but a mighty fine one for diorama-making!

8 comments:

Ryan said...

Fabulous job!

Ry

Nana and Papa said...

I could "bearly" wait to see your Panda Peeps creation! Good job.

xo Wendy

Dipsy said...

Good to see that all the experience you gained through book report dioramas throughout the years has paid off. This is definitely a winner! Don't forget to include your MAIDEN name when you submit it for judging! Love, Dipsy

Unknown said...

I SEE A WINNER!!!!! Good job. I love Butterstick. I want a pet named Butterstick :) Such a cute name.

ML said...

Wow!

Maureen said...

This is BEYOND fabulous. I nearly died laughing. the Birds and the Peeps was Josh's favorite touch. I'm much impressed by the lifelike tears. In fact I'm tearing up a bit myself... :'(

East Coast Jenny said...

I love it. What a great idea.

juanita said...

Miriam you are totally going to win!! It is cute and totally timely!! It is wonderful, thanks for letting me see your entry!! :) Juanita