Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Missing Our Dip...Once Again



It's time once again for our semi-annual "Missing Our Dip" post. We always have so much fun when my mom comes to visit. Her stay was a short one this year, but we managed to pack it full of fun things:
  • outlet shopping;
  • baby shopping (for Tess & Reen's newbie who should arrive any day now!);
  • taking in my old skirts so they fit again;
  • a dog-eat-dog dominoes show down;
  • dinner & Conference with the Higginbotham's & the coneheads;
  • getting Tess' Easter portrait taken;
  • 3--count them--3 Chick-fil-a lunches (with each lunch becoming progressively higher in calories and saturated fat); and
  • several brisk, chilly, blustery and sometimes drizzly spring walks with the stroller and Tess pointing out every puppy along the way.




Mainly, Tess just had a blast spending time with Dip. During car trips, Dipsy would always sit in the back with Tess and they would play games and sing songs.



Tess learned "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," "There Was a Little House," "Itsy, Bitsy Spider," and "5 Little Speckled Frogs." We have added these to our roadtrip repetoire, which also includes "Clickety-clack," "5 Little Ducks," and "No-no-no Monkeys Jumping on the Bed."



I sometimes get strange looks from other drivers as I steer with one had and do "Itsy, Bitsy Spider" with the other one. I think one driver was offended when I motioned that the 4th little monkey had bumped his head.


"Where's the kitty, Tess?" Oh, would you look at that?
It's right here on my tummy! Now isn't that convenient?

Tess talks all the time now--I mean all the time. Most of the time, I have no idea what she's saying. But she loved having some good chats with Dipsy. Alas, Dipsy was unsuccessful in teaching Tess how to walk. She agrees that Tess is just not ready yet. She did teach Tess several new words, including "Dipsy," "stinkerpot" and "goofball." Tess dubbed Dipsy with a nickname of her own choosing: "my stinkerpot." It really must have been meant for you, mom, because she hasn't said it since you left.


Tess looks so lovely in her Easter dress.
I teared up the first time I tried it on her!



At the portrait studio--and yes, she kept the bow in her hair!

After our few days of high living, mom and I made a pact on the way to the airport to each lose at least 20 lbs. by her next visit 6 mos. from now (how's that for death-bed repentance?). Our goal is one lb. each per week--and the clencher? Our weight loss results will be published on my blog! Gulp.





So with renewed commitment and the looming threat of public humiliation, I girded up my loins for the coming week. I was doing just fine until Wendy called with what she described as an "evil, evil plan" to use a gourmet recipe to make chocolate fondant Easter eggs. Hmmm--I think I may have to start posting Wendy's weight loss on my blog too!

4 comments:

Dipsy said...

AM I prejudice, or is this one of the cutest blogs ever? I miss my little rascal so much! And I miss Tess too! Love, Dipsy

ML said...

yes, you are prejudiced? You must have not seen my post yet (heh, heh) She's getting so big! I saw you called earlier today so I figured ma must have left. Love the dresses. She's adorable!

Leslie said...

That dress is gorgeous!
And so is that tiny girl!
And I love that red bench!

Taking all of your old skirts in? I can't imagine a more lovely activity. That had to make you feel good!

Maureen said...

That video is priceless. I love that giggle! She is beyond beautiful, Mimi. That dress was MADE for her.

Wait, I don't think you should start the one-pound-a-week thing until after I've had the baby. I need to lose, too! What do you say we start the day school gets out, or something? I want in!