Friday, April 4, 2008

Dipsy Duds

We're having a great time with Dipsy! It's so fun to have her here--she makes everything we do feel like an adventure. Usually when she comes, I have some big project I want to tackle and usually she just eggs me on with it. Since we moved here 3 years ago, she's helped me: decorate my living room (she's a furious furniture shopper!); organize and install shelving in my shed; paint my bedroom and bathroom; move and organize hundreds of books; refinish and paint my kitchen cabinets; and makeover Tess' bedroom (remember the towering lattice wall?).









Well, this time she's actually been having a pretty laid back visit. We've had lots of relaxing time playing with baby. For our project, I wanted Mom to help me make a sundress for Tess. I've had lots of practice making baby blankets now, and I thought I was ready to expand my sewing skills beyond stitching two square pieces of fabric together.









So Mom and Tess and I spent at least an hour looking at fun fabrics, patterns and notions and dreaming up cute, simple dresses we could make for the Tessling. There was a bright, summery pink patterned fabric that I loved and we had fun ideas to incorporate ribbon trims and colored stitching. We picked out cute contrasting fabric for the bloomers. We also considered making an all-white dress with colorful ribbon accents. We thought it would be cute and easy to make simple straps that would tie in a bow on the shoulder. I thought about sewing on faux buttons for decoration (since I'm not going to attempt the buttonholer).

Anyway, long story long, we decided to check out the baby clothes before we left, just to see if anything good was on clearance. And there, in the baby department was EVERY DRESS WE'D CONSIDERED SEWING--ALREADY MADE! The bright summery, pink one with contrasting fabric; a cute lime green one with ribbon and faux button accents; and an all-white one with colorful stitching and ribbon details. WE COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! And each dress cost less than half of what it would cost for us to buy the materials to make the dress. So, we put back all the sewing materials we'd gather to make one of the dresses, and then bought ALL 3 ready-made dresses!








I know the whole point was for me to practice sewing, but you kind of get to the point where you think, "What's the point?" Sewing the dress probably would have turned out to be a lot of expensive aggravation.

Since we saved so much time not sewing a dress, we had a whole lot of time to take pictures of Tessie in her new summery duds. They're still a little big on her--they are sundresses, after all, and we've been a little short on the sun lately. But they should fit her nicely once summer finally rolls around.

Tessie's been getting in a lot of Dipsy love. I need to get some more pics of Tess with her Dip, but here are a couple cute ones of the baby love fest. We don't want Dipsy to go home!




5 comments:

Ann said...

Oh my gosh! Those are the cutest dresses! As I was reading your blog, I kept thinking, "Is she going to say she made these dresses???" If you had said yes, you would have made us all feel a little less competent! Let's hear it for ready-made!!!

Have fun with your mom!

ML said...

Loved the fashion show, she looks adorable in all of them! Nice shopping job!

I'm doing some nice shopping myself here in UT with Mer. Yay for cheap clothes from Bangladesh!

Love ya,
Maureen

Unknown said...

LOVE the dresses. I was about to ask where you got them. Such talent!! Glad you are having fun with Dipsy. Tessie looks like she is in Dipsy heaven :)

Tara said...

Miriam, this is Meredith's friend, Tara.... I don't know if you remember me, but I saw your blog on hers and I must say little Tess is adorable, she has the most beautiful complexion! We live in North Carolina now and I also am so excited for the beautiful blooms on all of the trees! You have the cutest little girl, how fun to see her.

Unknown said...

Okay, I didn't read the last paragraph until now (I thought you made the dresses). They are all soooo cute. I will have to check out Walmart