Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Day of Food and Fun



Tess started off the day with her first taste of food that doesn't come out of a bottle. The pediatrician said Tess is ready to start dabbling in the world of solid foods!



This morning we tried a little cereal with a spoon. She liked the cereal, but she still needs a bit more practice with her spoon technique. Most of the cereal ended up on her face and on the bib, but I think it was a good first attempt.



Sorry about this video. I accidentally taped it sideways, and I don't have the capability to rotate video. So it looks like she's eating while stuck to the side of the wall, a la Spiderman. That would be impressive. She's pretty good at holding her head up, but not that good.



After breakfast, it was play time. Tess had some fun with her new teething ring.



Lately Tess is obsessed with putting her hands in her mouth. Honestly, sometimes during feedings we'll catch her sucking her thumb while sucking on the bottle. She tries to slip that thumb in when she thinks no one is looking.



The doctor said Tess is not teething yet, she just gets a lot of enjoyment from sucking her hands. Her pediatrician recommended we find other things for her to suck on, so the thumb doesn't become a habit.



After Tess tired of the teething ring, she found her own thing to suck--my face. She loves to give wet, slobbery cheek kisses. Today she managed to suction on to my chin (ewww!). Evidently Tess didn't want to be the only one with drool running down her chin.

This afternoon we went shopping for BPA-free bottles (I know I said I wasn't going to worry about that, but I found some very inexpensive ones and I can still use the same nipples she likes. It's worth it for the peace of mind.) We also found some fun, summery sandals.



Before heading out to pick up Dad, we went for an early evening walk. It was gorgeous here today--I couldn't let it go to waste! (The pic of me is after the walk, so don't mind the sweated-off-makeup-face and gym clothes.)





Day is done, gone the sun. And we get to do it all over again tomorrow!


(I love the silhouette of Tess' duck fuzz in this picture!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The silhouette, the video, and the sandals are priceless. Thanks for posting! Love, Dipsy

Maureen said...

I love the duck fuzz, too. Kenzie had some nearly identical sandals when she was about a year old.

She did really well eating! It took my kids about a month to get that good.

I don't even know what BPA stands for... guess that shows what kinda Mom I am, huh?

You are looking GREAT! Your face especially is so thin. Those Mommy and Me workouts must be doing some good!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the duck fuzz. I want a pair of those shoes too!! ;o)

Ryan said...

Thanks for the tip on the Bumbo tray, Laura! It's going to come in handy.

Mir

ML said...

isn't the first cereal feed fun? LK demonstrated she was very clearly my daughter and ate like crazy the first time solids hit her mouth. she hasn't stopped eating yet. in fact, she's packing away some cheerios right now as she's trying to get to my keyboard. good job, tess!

Shari said...

I love that bumbo tray too! Wish I would have had one of those.

Thanks for the invite to your blog, Miriam. I was so sad to miss out on your cute blog!