Friday, November 7, 2008

Headbanging Birthday Bash

Yesterday was my boy's birthday! We had fun, even though he had to spend most of the day at work. He was tempted to take it off--he doesn't think it's fair that George Washington and Martin Luther King Jr. get their birthday's off. Sounds like an equal protection violation to me.



Since Ry did have to go to work, we at least started the morning off right. Tess and I brought Dad breakfast in bed. Tess thinks it's great fun to be in bed with us in the morning. She's such a morning person and is always in a terrific mood. She laughs and squeals as she rolls around in the covers and climbs mountains of pillows. You can imagine that this activity makes breakfast in bed somewhat difficult, but we were able to subdue her with a generous helping of Ry's cinnamon roll.

When Ry came home, we had his favorite dinner (spaghetti, of course!) and he had good time talking on the phone to all his adoring fans (thanks to everyone who called to wish him "Happy Birthday!"). Then he opened presents and enjoyed a HUGE slice of his favorite pie (chocolate cream, of course!).

Ry's favorite present is the one he picked out for himself: tickets for 2 to see his favorite band (METALLICA, of course!). That's right--come January, Ry and I will be joining legions of other headbangers to see the greatest heavy metal band of all time! (No, we won't be taking Tess.)



Ry has loved Metallica since their inception, but he's never been able to see them in concert. He's so excited! And boy, do I have it coming, since he's gone with me to see The Indigo Girls every year for at least the past 7 years.

But that doesn't mean I haven't heard my fair share of Metallica over the years! With enough exposure, I've actually kind of developed a taste for Metallica. They are pretty talented and there is a musicality to their stuff that's missing from a lot of other heavy metal music. So I'm pretty excited too!

Mer says that for my own safety I will need to dress the part for the concert, so we are open to any wardrobe suggestions you may have!

In other news, Tess has been a busy girl of late. A quick update:

*Tess has been going on lots of walks with Mom. She loves being outside--especially when it's chilly. She loves the cold air.



*She's getting really good at pushing herself up to sitting. She starts on her belly, pushes up on her arms, walks them into herself and swings her legs around to sit up.



* Tess is in all my kitchen cabinets. It's one of her favorite past times.



*I finally found a pair of shoes that Tess CAN'T TAKE OFF! We have already lost two pairs because she takes them off in the store when I'm not looking. I was getting pretty desperate, considering it's going to get cold here before too long! I love these shoes on her--they look like the old fashioned white baby shoes and they lace up her ankle, so they stay put!



*She loves clapping her hands. Dipsy taught her this trick--now she starts clapping whenever I sing this song.



*And one last bit of exciting news--Tess has started to cut her first tooth (on the bottom). It's barely broken through--you can hardly see it.

I noticed it when we were playing and she was trying to "get" me. She does this by giving me slobbery kisses all over my face and the real clincher is when she grabs me by the nose and sucks on it. Usually it's miserably wet, but this time I actually felt something sharp. I'll post a pic when the snaggle tooth actually comes through.

That's our world for now. Ann and kids are flying in today and we are excited to see them this weekend! Stand by for pics!

7 comments:

Ryan said...

Maur, I finished Edgar Sawtelle, but I haven't made it to the library for a new book yet. Dad sent me some recommendations. Do you have any good picks?

Mir

Unknown said...

I am rolling across the floor laughing!!! You are a good sport, Mir. When you said he got 2 tickets to see Metallica, my first thought was "Who is going to go with him!!" My dad?? I hope you bring Tessie a little Metallica onesie as a souvenir from the great event. Have fun!

Maureen said...

Wow, you guys have been busy! Josh is jealous of the Metallica tickets. He'd be head-banging away too!

Tess is so cute in her clapping video. I just want to scoop up Miss Pajama Bottom and snuggle her!

Leslie said...

I have to say that I was totally shocked to read that Ryan wanted to go to a Metallica concert. And that you're going with him.

We have some Higginbothams down here in our ward. Does Ryan have any family here?

Ryan said...

Hi Leslie! I hope you guys are liking VA! Higginbotham is actually an old Virginia name, so it's not unheard of out here.

Ry's getting me the new Metallica album so I'll be prepared for the concert. I have some studying-up to do!

Mir

Leslie said...

LOL

Hope you guys have a great time!

Ryan said...

I may be related to the family, but I don't personally know any Higginbothams in your area.

I'd be interested to learn the name of their grandparents or great-grandparents to see if there is a connection. As an aside, I tracted into a second cousin of mine while I was serving a mission in Oregon.

Ryan