Monday, October 15, 2012

July-September 2012 Tidbits


Drew: "Daddy's car," "Mommy's car," "happy," "outside," "paint," "hoop," "cheese!" [mac and cheese]

Tess: "I had a little yawn in my Primary class today."
Ryan: "How come?"
Tess: "I had a lot of work to do."
Ryan: "What kind of work?"
Tess: "Like answering questions and coloring."

I took Tess to the zoo and explained to her that we wouldn't be able to see the mommy panda because she just had a new baby, but that we might be able to see the daddy panda. Her response: "You know, it's a good thing daddy pandas don't go to work. You know why? Cuz they're PANDAS!"

We were driving to DC yesterday. We get to Alexandria and Tess says, "I know who lives in Alexandria! One of my good friends!" Confused, I ask her who she's talking about. "You know, Mom. She has brown hair and her name starts with a B." Even more confused, I start guessing random "B" names. "No, Mom. You know! She has a little brother with brown hair too!" I go for the only name I can come up with, "You mean Brookie?" "Yes, Mom!" Sore disappointment ensued when I informed her that Alexandria was not in Colorado.

Phrases that Drew understands: "outside," "put on/take off shoes," "bath," "ride bike," "night night," "go upstairs/downstairs," "popsicle," "bite," "juice," "bye bye," "read book," "dance," "jump," "go to the park," and "throw diaper in the trash can."

Drew's two-word phrases: "cool car" and "Daddy's car."

I peeked in on Tess, who was coloring on the craft table in her room. She greeted me: "Welcome to Professor Tess' office!"


Tess got upset when she heard me referring to Drew as "my boy." "He's not just your boy, Mom! He's my boy and Dad's boy, too!"

Ryan was helping Tess get dressed. While putting her shirt over her head, Tess paused, peeked out from under the shirt and said to him: "See you in a just a minute, Dad!"

Ryan (spotting a police car on the road while driving with Tess): "Tess, what do police officers do?"
Tess: "Put bad people in jail."
Ryan: "Tess, what does a bad person look like?"
Tess: "I don't know."
Ryan: "You can't always tell whether a person is good or bad by looking at him or her."
Tess: "I know what a bad person looks like."
Ryan: "You do?"
Tess: "They wear a suit with black and white stripes and a hat."

Tess: "Daddy, Drew is about to become big. First, he'll turn three and then he'll turn four..."

Tess (reacting to the large numbers of flies that were attracted to our picnic dinner): "Our dinner became a fly dinner."
Ry asked Tess to help clean up the living room.
Her reply: "Whatever."
Shocked, he asked her what that meant.
Tess: "'Whatever' means 'Okay. I'll do it. I'm bored.'"

An overly tired Tess in bed (crying while listening to a Primary music CD): "I don't like this music. It has a lullaby. It's too pretty and I can't fall asleep!"
Tess (picking up a wash cloth in the bathroom, wetting it, and rubbing it across her face): "I have to wash my face."
Dad: "Why do you have to wash your face?"
Tess: "I saw it on a commercial that you have to wash your face before bedtime. A kid's commercial."

Tess (seeing that we were having pasta with shrimp for dinner): "Mmmm. Shrimp. Love it. I just love shrimp."

Tess: "Daddy, I ran fast today. It wasn't myself. It was my legs. My legs are so fast."
Drew: "Cool car."

Tess was excited to learn that Dad is going to have ELEVEN days of vacation with us. "It like it going to be Saturday, then Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...."

Tess has been jumping off the living room furniture while yelling: "Canada!" I thought she was just being strange until Ryan explained to me that, while watching people jump off the diving board at the pool, he taught her that when some people jump they yell: "Cannonball!"

Someone here is excited for our church 4th of July pancake breakfast and kids' bike parade. Our bikes are decorated to the nines and Tess has been telling me all day that she is "really hungry for pancakes."

0 comments: