Monday, October 29, 2012

Tess at School

I had a phone conference with Tess' preschool teacher, Mrs. Atkins, this week.  We had a long conversation about Tess and how she's been doing at school.  Mrs. Atkins said that she has seen none of the signs of anxiety that Tess exhibited at school last year.  She seems comfortable and has friends in class.  I was able to help in her class last week, and it was a world of difference compared with last year.  She was confident, comfortable and enjoying herself.  She was fine playing across the room while I helped other kids.  What an immense relief to see how far she's come.  


Her favorite center is the "writing center," which comes as no surprise, since that's how she spends much of her time at home.  She's also recent branched out to the "lego center," which is good because she pushing herself out of her comfort zone a little.


Mrs. Atkins also told me that Tess is a great role model in class.  There is a little girl in her class this year named Farhana.  I don't know how long she's been in the country, but her English is limited and isn't used to being away from her mom.  Every morning at carpool, we'd see her rush of tears as she had to leave her mom to go to school.  


I asked Tess if she remembered how it felt to be that scared to go to school and leave her mom.  I asked  Tess if she could do something to help Farhana feel happier at school, like maybe give her smile.  When I followed up with Tess, she said she'd forgot to do something to help Farhana that day, so I didn't push it. 


So, I was surprised when Mrs. Atkins told me that Tess was such a good role model in class.  She said there is a little girl named Farhana that Tess has reached out to.  She doesn't speak much English, but Tess has been able to become friends with her.  They play together and gather acorns together on the playground at recess. 


Mrs. Atkins said that Tess and Farhana share a similar temperament, and that Tess seems to understand the way Farhana is feeling.  Having a friend in class has helped Farhana feel more comfortable in class.  Mrs. Atkins was appreciative because in turn it has helped her teachers as well.


Can I tell you how proud I am of my little pumpkin?!  
She's a sweet and sensitive soul with so many gifts to share.  



3 comments:

ML said...

Hate to say "I told you so" (hee, hee - actually, I love it). So happy to hear that things are going so well with Tessie!

Dipsy said...

I miss Tess.
Papa

Maureen said...

Darling little Tessykins! I like the feathers in her hair!