Sunday, January 29, 2012

Still Life

Tess recently took great interest in a library book that suggested ideas for creating artwork based on famous masterpieces.  When she saw this bowl of fruit, she told me:  "Mom, I want to paint a still life!"


I loved how her painting turned out and wanting to feed her interest, I thought we should take a trip to the art gallery.  We took Drew along as well, since he is also a budding Picasso.


Of course, we had to get in a full dose of Curious George on a Saturday morning.  But once that was done, we headed off to D.C.


Even as a kid, I've always loved museums.  I love that Tess loves going to museums, too.  It's all very exciting: the hunt for a parking space (OK, not so much that part--though we did get an AMAZING spot!); the buzz of the busy city; the grand buildings with soaring architecture and stately columns; and room after room of treasures.

I always love watching artists in the gallery try their hand at replicating the famous paintings.  On one visit with Tess when she was quite little, there was a group of school children being taught by an art teacher in one of the gallery rooms.  The sight of their little bodies spread out on the floor with sketch paper and pencils in hand was more than Tess could stand.  She begged for a pencil and I managed to scrounge up a pen and the blank side of a grocery store receipt so she could join in the back of the room.


So this time, I brought some colored pencils and a sketch pad.  Tess got herself comfortable on the fanciest couch she could find and focused in on a still life by Cezanne, Flowers in a Rococo Vase.  Drew scribbled away under close supervision from Dad.  


Tess decided to draw some "different, interesting flowers" while I attempted a more true-to-life sketch.  Tess held my drawing up for close comparison, and then noted that I "forgot something" and quickly drew in an essential, missing yellow flower.  

I used to love looking at our copy of the gallery guide book as a kid, so we bought one at the gift shop.  Hopefully it will provide more artistic inspiration!


A fun day in the city.  We'll have to do it again sometime.

3 comments:

Dipsy said...

I love Tess' still life--especially the way she has interpreted it The banana, for example, is reversed, and the oranges are in a different order. The the arcing blue line of the bowl is striking.
Papa Ruskin

Dipsy said...

This does my heart good! Brings back happy memories!

Love, Dipsy

Maureen said...

Wow, her painting is AMAZING. She has some serious talent, you should frame that.

Loved Ryan's outfit: a puppy hat and a Napoleon shirt. Stylin'.