Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Three-Year-Old Tess

Tess was very excited about her birthday this year.  This is the first year that she really understands what birthdays are all about, and she was ready for a party!  Thanks to the big help of family and friends, she had a great birthday, in spite of all the chaos that's been going on here.


Tess' birthday happened also to be the day we had to take Drew to his appointment at National Children's Medical Center.  Tess spent the day exhausting (I mean playing with) Nana and Papa.  Nana made sure Tess' birthday itinerary was packed full of fun activities, including making Christmas cookies, a snowman craft, and lots and lots of dollhouse playtime.

When we got back, Nana threw a festive birthday party in Tess' honor which included all of the elements Tess believes are requisite for a proper party (balloons, party hats, cake and presents).  Nana outdid herself with Tess' favorite dinner (mac & cheese and asparagus) and one heck of a birthday cake!









Tess got some darling clothes and a sweet book from Nana & Papa, and her Calico Critters set from Dipsy & Papa was a big hit.  (I've been playing "Kitty Kitchen" nonstop ever since.)





The next day, my friend Natalie let me bring cupcakes to Tess' playschool so she could have a mini-celebration with her friends.  They loved their Hello Kitty treats and ran around the living room in circles to burn off all the extra sugar.


While Dipsy was here, she also bought Tess a new bookshelf for her birthday.  I LOVE the way the kids' room turned out.  Dipsy made the cutest custom curtains for the room--I couldn't imagine them any cuter!  She also made matching bedskirts for the crib and bed.  I love the fabrics and the way she tied everything together.  It's a delightful space to be in.







Tess has been relishing this creative Dipsy idea, too.  Dipsy brought Tess her own little Christmas tree with one tiny ornament to open each night before Christmas.  Tess is actually excited to get ready for bed when we remind her that she gets to open an ornament.  

This, coincidentally, is also the table that I fell off of and sprained my ankle when Drew was a week old.  "Mommy jumped and knocked over my Christmas tree."  Have I not told that story yet?  Probably best that way.  It's been a long month.


One more Dipsy project:  a stocking for Drew.  Luckily I had the foresight to buy an extra stocking and letters when I made these a few years ago...just in case.


3 comments:

Nana and Papa said...

woohoo! Such great curtains and bedskirts, Dipsy! (Who's the new Martha Stewart now?!).

xo Nana

ML said...

That has got to be the cutest kid's room ever. I love it! I miss Tess Bess so much! I got so used to having her around, it's like one of my own kiddos is gone. Yay for the comeback of Sylvanian Families. They are as cute as ever but I haven't been able to find my favorites -- the pigs. A little pig in suspenders and knickers simply can't be beat. So glad Tessie had a happy birthday.

ML said...

P.S. Strawberry Shortcake cake beat Barbie Princess hands down. That thing is adorable. I'll have to step it up for #4.