Friday, December 3, 2010

November 2010 Tidbits

Tess was so excited to see Lauren during her Virginia visit!
Tess: "Mom, I give Lauren a BIG hug! Wait--she have runny nose?"
Me: "Nope, I think she's all better."
Tess: "OK, I give Lauren a BIG hug!"

It's November 8th and Santa was at the mall today. Tess & Lauren spotted him in the distance and they were both instantly terrified. Tess kept staring at him out of the corner of her eye and both girls would start crying if we even headed in his direction. Tess later informed Ryan: "It's Christmastime!" Tis the season.

Tess: "Mom, what dogs eat?"
Me: "Umm...donuts?"
Tess: "No, Mom! They eat dog food! Mom, what cats eat?"
Me: "Umm...dog food?"
Tess: "No, Mom! They eat cat food! Mom, what people eat?"
Me: "Umm...cat food?"
Tess: "No, Mom! They eat dinner!"

"No, Hank You!"

"I have white hair, mom has brown hair, Daddy has chocolate hair. Meredith and Lauren have black hair."

Inspired by the early-November Christmas decorations, Tess was singing loudly a song she made up at the store today:
"Christmas, Christmas, Christmas! Christmas trees, and a Santa! Be nice to Santa and he bring you presents! And his reindeer! Happy Birthday! Christmas is early!"

"Straw-ba-ba-ba-berry Shortcake!"

Tess has her own take on my oft-used phrase "a few more minutes." Her version: "A two-four minutes."

"Mom, how you doing? Yes good or no good?" Tess asks me this several times a day.

"Mom, your name is Miriammom."

Tess has been insisting that I call her "Thing 1" from Cat in the Hat. Lauren is "Thing 2."

Tess sang me (Ryan) a song of her own creation tonight:
"Glasses, you need a haircut
Get a present for a baby
And nice to see you."

Ryan: "Tess, who comes to visit you on Christmas?"
Tess: "Minty." [Minty is the star of the My Little Pony direct-to-DVD animated classic "A Very Minty Christmas," which I had the misfortune of watching once.]
Ryan (determined to correct this sacrilege): "Tess, is Minty real or pretend?"
Tess: " 'tend--like Santa."
Ryan: *laughing*
Tess: "Dad, why are you laughing?"
Ryan: "Because you're cute."

As Tess and I sat at a table in a smoothie restaurant a few days ago, she picked up my hand and began kissing it.
Ryan: "Tess, why are you kissing my hand?"
Tess: "Because I love you."

As Tess and I (Ryan) left the grocery store the other night, I stopped the grocery cart so that she could exit the toy car attached to the cart's front. She jumped out and then, without warning, began hopping back and forth like an animated elf, loudly yelling, "Merry Christmas, everybody!"

Last night Tess insisted on putting on her own diaper--a difficult trick. While attempting this trick on the floor, she suddenly exclaimed, "Hanukkah, Hanukkah!" (I have no idea where she heard the word.)

After Tess left from visiting me in the hospital following Drew's birth, she told Ryan, "I worry about Mommy and baby brother."

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Please give me a blog post! Please, please, PLEASE????

Dipsy said...

I love that Tess is leaving all these linguistic tracks.
Papa