Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bosom Buddies and Bonkbeds

Meredith and Lauren have been staying with us for the past week.  Tess and Lauren have become quite the bosom buddies.  They were separated for a couple hours on Wednesday when Tess went to playschool.  From the squeals, hugs and jumping at their reunion, you'd think they'd been separated at birth.  Three incidents in particular signify how close they've grown. 

#1--Meredith came downstairs and caught the two of them with big wads of paper towels, attempting to clandestinely clean up paint water they'd spilled all over the kitchen floor.  Buddies cover for each other.
  

#2--When I heard Tess say, "Lauren, STOP SINGING!"  That phrase pretty much sums up my childhood with Meredith.


#3--The fact that now Lauren is gone, Tess keeps calling me "Lauren" instead of "Mom."


While Meredith was here, we took on the task of turning Tess' room into a space for 2.  I've been kind of dragging my feet with it, mainly because I loved Tess' room and was sad to change it.  Luckily, with Meredith around, there was no shortage of creative ideas!

After much deliberation, we decided to try putting bunkbeds in her room and turned the top bunk into a play loft for Tess.  The bunkbed can also break down into two separate twin beds.  

Tess hasn't wanted to sleep in her toddler bed since her new bed arrived.  She calls it her "bonk bed" because we taught her that she'd bonk her head on the top bunk if she tried to stand up or bounce on it (it's a low bunkbed).


She's been equally enamored of her "play loft."  Mer found a "bed tent" that forms a little tunnel over the space.  I had a board cut to fit the bed (we were most creative in fitting a twin-sized piece of plywood in my car!) and covered it with foam mats and a car rug.  She loves practicing the ladder and knows that for now she can only go up there when Mom or Dad is in the room. 


We also found a line of bedding and fabrics at Ikea that I totally fell in love with for the room.  I was ready execute the Curious George idea when we happened on this bedding with whimsical cars.  It's accented with blue and white stripped fabric that looks like it was made for the room.  

I just saw that the designer's name, Silke Leffler, is on the fabric and it turns out that she is a German children's book illustrator.  I would love one of her books if anyone needs a Christmas present for me or Tess!  



I love that they sell coordinating fabric, which I plan to make into a valance and bedskirts for the beds.   Maybe a couple of pillows for the "loft" too.  (Here's our project, Mom!) 


They even had a coordinating baby quilt, but I may make a baby blanket out of the cars fabric.  I can't decide if the baby quilt is a little too feminine.


They have the cutest coordinating accessories--I had to restrain myself!  Still, we got all of it for what we would've spent on just the Curious George valance and bedskirts (I still would've had to buy separate bedding).  Gotta love Ikea!


I'm so excited to see it all put together!

And I think we're settling on a name for Baby Brother.  I think.

4 comments:

Dipsy said...

Too, too, too cute! Everything is PERFECT!

Dipsy said...

I want to play on the bed!
Papa

ML said...

I would like to ease everyone's anxiety and mention that we did take Lauren back to where she got that haircut and have it corrected (for the most part). I requested that Miriam not post pictures from those few dark days in her life but I see she couldn't restrain herself. Cute post otherwise, though. We miss you guys too!

Maureen said...

Way cute room! I'm glad Mer talked you into the bunk beds... because you do NOT want to have to think through it all again in two years! Great job, guys :)