Monday, April 26, 2010

Tess bits

Some recent Tess sayings:

On Saturday, Tess spent some time digging in the flower bed with a gardening spade. She practiced picking up dirt and walking over to a flower to dump the dirt. At one point, she stood up with a spadeful of dirt, arched her body back, and loudly grunted, "I a strong guuurrrrlll!" She clomped over to a flower, dropped the dirt, and then exclaimed with an excited jump, "I digged it!" She then loudly announced: "Running time!" (It's a new expression she uses to indicate her desire to race up and down the sidewalk.)

Tess has a new favorite expression. One morning last week, Tess wanted to know where "Mommy" was. When I told Tess that Mommy was sleeping, Tess replied, "Oh, so cute." When I told Tess this weekend that a spade was similar to a baby shovel, Tess said, "Oh, so cute." She said the same thing about an ant and a small maple seed (helicopter) she spotted.

While running behind Tess on the sidewalk on Saturday, I made an "arrgghh" sound (a bear/tiger/lion sound). She stopped, turned around, and said, "No arrgghhing."

Yesterday afternoon, Tess and Miriam played with some building blocks on the deck. Miriam asked Tess what she was building, and she replied, "A monument!" (Tess is familiar with the Washington Monument.)

While I was reading the newspaper on the front porch on Saturday, Tess approached me, pointed to an image of a certain cartoon gecko character printed on the newspaper page, and said, "Geico."


Last week, I talked to Tess about the fact that she lives in Virginia. I then asked Tess, "Where does Daddy live?" Tess said, "In C.D." (her term for D.C.). (Given the fact that I spend more time working in D.C. than at home, she wasn't entirely wrong.) After I corrected her, I asked her, "Where is Tess' house?" She pointed to the ceiling, waved her finger back and forth, and said, "This is in Virginia!" (her pronunciation of Virginia is pretty rough).

5 comments:

Nana and Papa said...

Way to go, Ryan! Learning to blog *and* post photos. Thank you, thank you for the Tess update.
xo Mom

Ryan said...

Love it, Ry. And love you too!

Dipsy said...

Thank you for pinch-hitting, Ry! Your first foray into blogdem is a total hit! Love you, MIL

ML said...

You are a talented writer, Ry. C.D. is lucky to have you!

Maureen said...

That Tess is "oh so cute!"