Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sunny Days, Everything's A-OK

We had Tess' appointment with the pediatric neurologist at Children's National Medical Center yesterday. I'll tell you, that's the place to hang out if you ever need to feel grateful for the blessings in your life! The doctor we saw, Dr. Bennett Lavenstein, is kind of a bigwig when it comes neurological movement disorders. Some of the kids there had such real problems, I almost felt bad for taking up his time.



Anyway, he said that it's clear that she's been delayed in meeting the gross motor markers. He did some tests on her that confirmed that she has slow reflexes when it comes to "parachuting" (catching herself when she falls) and her step reflexes are also slow. He said that if there is a neurological explanation for her delay, then it's in her central nervous system, and the only way to confirm that is to do an MRI on her.

But he said that even if we were to confirm that, the course of treatment for her wouldn't be any different--physical therapy. He said she still has time and development on her side, meaning that she's making progress and the benefits from doing an MRI wouldn't be that great. He did order some bloodwork on her, and we agreed to see him again in a month so he can gauge the rate of her progress. We'll reconsider the need for an MRI at that time.

This blog is certainly helpful when it comes to recordkeeping. I knew he'd want to know when she first rolled, crawled, sat up and walked. I just don't remember things like that. So it's nice to have a handy, searchable resource at my fingertips.


Relaxin' & maxin' with Elmo's World.

In other news, lately we've become quite the Sesame Street groupies at our house. Tess loved playing with all the Sesame Street toys at Aunt Laura's house, so we've been working on our collection. We're doing pretty well, though we still need the Count and Oscar. We can only dream of finding Snuffy, Slimy and Prairie Dawn (Laura has a sweet collection!).

Tess is a hardcore Elmo fan, but she's learned the names of other characters too. It cracks me up to hear her say them: "el-MO, "Eh-nee," "ah-BEE," "cookEE."


Sorry for the hyper-pixelation--I think my battery was low.

Personally, I'm a big Sesame Street fan. I've always loved the Muppets, and I'm happy to have an excuse to watch them daily. I think even Ry secretly doesn't hate it--at least not as much as some of the other kids' shows.


Tess grooving & making the "s-s-s" sound to the letter "C" song.

The world would be a happier place if everyone watched a little Sesame Street everyday. Here are a few of our favorite clips for your viewing pleasure:







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Glad to see Tessie had the Sesame Street family too. Did you find them at Target? Don't forget about Sherlock Hemlock!! I got him, Snuffy, Betty Lou (Brooke calls her Grand ma)from Amazon. I still need to gey Guy Smiley. Do you remember him? Talk about old school Sesame Street.

Unknown said...

I meant "has" (not "had" in the first sentance).
Tessie looks like an expert walker to me.

Maureen said...

She is SO smart. Oh, I'm getting so excited to see that cutie!

Tess looks like she's made great progress with her walking.

These blogs are handy, huh? Mine's a lifesaver when I have to make holiday projects for Porter's... I can have three years of Halloween pics pulled up in no time flat!

Rebecca said...

You know, Busch Gardens has a Sesame Place- wanna come? I sure miss your happy face!