Thursday, June 5, 2008

Massive storm hits D.C.




I dedicate this post to my one and only younger sister.

Yesterday the D.C. area was hit by several tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, flooding, and power outages. A passenger in an SUV was killed by a falling tree (shown in the top photo). The home shown in the bottom photo dates from the 1890s.

The weather in the immediate area was limited to heavy thunderstorms. I stayed inside and watched Monsterquest on the History Channel (I have no idea why a series investigating the truth of legendary monster sightings around the world is broadcast on the History Channel, but then again, very little on that channel relates to history).

Last night's episode featured an investigation into the Vampire Beast, the subject of reports coming out of North Carolina about a bloodthirsty beast feeding on dogs and livestock. An hour later I learned it was probably nothing more than a cougar. Rather disappointing, I must say. I was hoping for a North Carolina species of El Chupacabra, which feasts on goats, chickens, cows, horses, dogs, cats, and ducks, at the very least (see photo below). No such luck.





10 comments:

Ann said...

So you are obviously home from Idaho! Just in time for a lovely storm. Scary!

I think I have watched that show before. I think I have seen three or four of them. UFO's, aliens, big foot. They spend the entire hour captivating you with proof of their existence, and then in the last five minutes, they conclude that they aren't real afterall. That's no fun!

I bet Ryan is so glad that his ladies are back!

Ryan said...

Sorry, I should clarify here: I, Ryan, wrote this post. The ladies are still in Idaho.

Anonymous said...

About the only thing scarier than a Chupacabra (and durn, I'm so sorry they don't exist!) is waking up to find water on the floor of your newly finished basement. Good thing the carpet wasn't down yet. The storm (with "60-70 mph rotating thunderstorms")reminded me of living in Tornado Alley in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Glad that Tessabelle and Mir were far, far away. (Oops, not to say that I'm glad Ryan was here, of course.)
Happy half-a-birthday to Tess. Such a great party.
xo Nana

Ryan said...

Frankly, I'm relieved that the creature in the picture you posted does not live in North Carolina. I am sorry that it took an hour of TV watching for you to figure that out!

Those pics from the storm are really scary. I can't help but think of those tall trees we have out back. I'm glad you're safe.

Wendy--that's HORRIBLE news about your basement! Does it at least give you a chance to figure out where it's leaking from and fix it? That's good that the carpet wasn't in yet. "Serenity now."
Repeat 3 times.

Ryan said...

Oh, I have no doubt that chupacabras exist--even in North Carolina.

Ry

Unknown said...

I'm confused - why is this dedicated to me?? Are you trying to say that I am like a tornado? Well, if that's the case, you are like an el camino: business casual in the front, all party in the back. Kind of like a mullet. hee hee

Ryan said...

Here's the reason that the post is dedicated to you:

"Why aren't you blogging while Mir is gone. I want to see your adventures in mowing the lawn, riding the slug and cooking dinner! Get to it, bro."

Ry

Ryan said...

Wow, Ry. Your post has more comments than my posts ever get. I'm going to turn the proverbial pencil over to you from now on!

love you. miss you. Tessie misses you too.

Mir

Unknown said...

I want to see the lawn mowing pictues!!!! Mir- don't forget to get that cupcake recipe and find out how to put the frosting on so they look like that :o)

Ryan said...

Laur,

Reen ordered the cupcakes from Rexburg's new gourmet cupcake bakery, The Cocoa Bean.

I don't know whose blog this is, but they've posted some pics of it: http://coryandheather.blogspot.com/2008/02/cocoa-bean.html

The Mormon Starbucks? Rexburg has come a long way, baby!

Mir