Saturday, June 2, 2012

May 2012 Tidbits


On Saturday, Tess got to go on a walk with Dad, play in her little pool with Mom, then play in her little pool with Dad, followed by a family trip to the BIG pool, and wrapped up with more playtime with Dad before bed. When Ryan asked what was her favorite part of the day, she replied: "We forgot to go to the park!"

"Mom, you know why I like having a birthday in Primary? Cuz they sing to you and you get a sticker of O'romi blowing his trumpet."

This one's for Dipsy:
I was out for a walk with the kids today in the double stroller. Tess asked: "Mom, this called a Cheerio?" I asked her if she was talking about the stroller and she said, "Yes. Why Dipsy call it a Cheerio?"

On this very warm day, Tess insisted on wearing to Danielle's house a long-sleeved cardigan over a long-sleeved sweater, coupled with tight white biker shorts. She was broiling in her outfit on the way home, so I had her take off the shirt and sweater in the car. She protested, "No, Mom! Everyone going to think I just did wrestling!"

M: "Tess, do you know what are my 3 most important things in the whole world? My iPod, my car, and my house!"
T: "No, Mom! Your 3 most important things are me, Drewie and Dad!"
M: "Oh, you're right! I couldn't trick you! Tess, what are your 3 most important things in the whole world?"
T: "Drewie, my bed, and my house!"

As a safety precaution, Ryan thought it would be a good idea to teach Tess our phone number. I found out that she's been giving it out on the playground at preschool so she can arrange her own playdates with school friends.

Slamming your baby's foot in the sliding car door makes you feel like a really bad mother. He's been walking on it just fine, but it looked pretty bad after it happened.

Tess has been having bad dreams recently, and she often ends up in our bed at night. Not comfortable, since she sleeps like a windmill. I've been trying to encourage her to stay in her bed, but I feel bad for her when she's had a scary dream. The other morning, Ryan noticed that Tess' night light over her bed was on, which she always turns off before going to sleep. When he asked her about it, she said: "I had a bad dream, so I turned on my light and read a book until I fell asleep." Awww! So grown up! And why didn't I think of that idea?

Tonight Tess got very upset because she wanted to do her own hair after her bath--she did not want me to blow dry it. She informed us through dramatic tears: "MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE IS RUINED!!!" Ry and I must be very efficient parents. It takes most parents another 10 years to ruin their children's lives.

T (while watching cartoons): "Target doesn't know that I likeJake and the Neverland Pirates."
M: "Huh?"
T: "They put that toy on the clear last row with the boys' toys. Target doesn't know that I like it too."

It's been interesting to watch the influence of Tess' school friends. She has asked to wear "one long ponytail down the back) because Ava has one; she's wanted to bring "mini muffins" to school for a snack like Yusra; for snack she's also asked to bring a "sandwich cut into triangles" like Matthew (I usually cut rectangle-shaped sandwiches). However, she has not asked to mimic Kosi's snack, which Tess reports is some kind of seaweed-based snack bar. "It smells really stinky. I just have to plug my nose."

Tess balancing on one leg; her other leg bent and resting at the knee of her straight leg (the "tree" pose): "Look! I'm making a four!"

Tess has been making up her own sign language signs. Call it "TSL."

At dinner I cautioned Drew that his food was still a little warm and he blew on it.

Drew has learned how to say "no" with a decisive shake of his head.

Tess opted to forgo her bedtime story so she could stay up with Dad and watch a little of the Caps hockey game tonight.

Tess is into "layering" when she gets dressed these days. This means that one shirt is just not enough. This morning I heard screams of frustration from Tess while she was getting dressed upstairs. Apparently her shirts were getting all tangled and bunched up because when I asked what was wrong, she yelled down: "Umph! My shirts looking like I have a baby in my tummy!"

If someone in my house smells like they need a diaper change, it's more likely Tess than Drew. She pooped in her underwear three times today. Three. Seriously.

I'm at my wit's end with Drew in the bath. He now thinks it's hilarious to pee every time I put him in the tub. We're not talking an accident, but an intentional effort to push every last drop out. And he laughs and laughs. I tried taking him out of the tub for a "timeout" on the bath rug. He peed on the rug and laughed hysterically. We may have to start doing baths in swim diapers.

Drew's latest words: book ("ba"), butterfly ("ba"), bowl("ba"), bubble ("ba-ba"), and apple ("ap").

Drew now does the sign for signing whenever he hears the theme song to Baby Signing Time.

For Tess' part of FHE, she set up a "beach" for us in the living room. She laid out beach towels and we all had to lie down and relax. Then she gave us foot massages with lotion. I think we may have a new FHE tradition in the making.

Today in testimony meeting Tess noticed that I had a few tears, which is not uncommon for me. When she asked why I was crying, I told her it was because I felt the Spirit and that for some people the Spirit makes them feel a lot of love and emotion which sometimes comes out in tears. Later this afternoon we were with the kids outside, when Tess came up to me with a pitiful, sad face. I asked her if she was hurt and said, "No, Mom. I just feel the Spirit."

"Dipsy and Papa's house kind of look like it has bamboo. It look kind of wooden inside. It kind of look like you're outside when you're inside." (That one's for Dipsy and Papa to figure out.)

After a busy, tiring day Tess declared, "I'm all worned out."

I put dinner in the crockpot this morning and we came home to the aroma of pulled barbecue pork. Tess' comment: "Yum! It smells like Nana's meat in here!" (That one's for Nana to figure out.)

Drew took 10 steps all by himself today!

Ryan opened our upstairs vents to let more of the air conditioning through. Later Tess said to me in all seriousness: "Mom, can I ask you a question? Is there snow that comes out of there?"

Tess saw a bit of a hockey game on TV and started yelling, "Go, go, go!" I explained to Tess that the DC Capitols are in a playoff and Dad is excited to watch the next game. Tess: "I have a great idea! Tonight I'm going to make a surprise for Dad! I'm going to make him a hockey game! We don't have skates, so we'll have to wear socks. We can use sticks and a ball for the little ball thingie. That a great idea?" And so it was. Tonight we donned socks, set up a laundry basket as the goal and used brooms to hit a ball. Tess had lots of hockey insight. "Sometimes the people get really angry. We need a whistle to blow if someone gets angry." (I have no idea how she knows anything about hockey.) She also informed me that goalies are supposed to be "nice," not angry. It was actually a lot of fun and Drew only got knocked in the head by a broom once.

Drew walked today!

Tess was snuggling in bed with me this morning when she said, "Mom, your face looks like a blueberry muffin. Know why? Cuz that hole in your nose looks like a blueberry!"

1 comments:

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

Miriam, your kids make me laugh. I look forward to the tidbits. I laugh out loud EVERY time. I would bet that your Tess and my Hen would make quite a pair.