Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 2011 Tidbits

During Family Home Evening I (Ryan) asked Tess, "What are some things that you can do with your hands?"  Her first answer: "You can say 'all done' [making the ASL sign for 'all done' by twisting her hands back and forth a few times]."

Tess, pointing to her old Winnie the Pooh toothbrush: "Why he [Winnie] eat honey all the time?" 
Ryan: "Because he thinks that it tastes so good.  Do you like honey, Tess?"
Tess: "No, Dad, I like [jumps in the air] HONEY MUSTARD!" 

Sometimes I (Ryan) tease Tess by using one of her expressions, "That hurts my pro-o-o-blems!"  Her reply last night: "Dad, I don't say that anymore." 

Tess, referring to Drew: "He's so GORGEOUS!" 

Drew has a funny new face that he makes when he's excited or acting goofy. He stretches down his top lip and says, "Ooo, Ooo, Ooo." He kind of looks like a little baboon.

T: "Mom, you been to Egypt?"
M: "Nope, I've never been to Egypt. It's a long way away."
T: "I not been to Egypt either. We need to get a car and drive a long way. We need to go visit all the countries and towns."

Tess has a new pity laugh for when we are only mildly funny: "Heh, heh, heh."

Tess' predictable reaction when she seems something she adores: She sucks in air with a huge gasp, covers her mouth, starts laughing and says, "Awwww--that so cute! I can't believe it!"

I asked Tess to sing me "Happy Birthday" last night during my birthday dinner, but she refused because it wasn't time for the cake yet. When Ryan dished the crab cakes, she perked up: "Hey, these can be our cake!"

"Mom, someday we can get a dog."

"Mom, I so get-cited to be 4 so I get BAPTIZED!"

"Mom, why that word say play?" Add it to the list.

Ryan and Tess have been reading the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series for her bedtime story, and they just finished the last of the 5 books. Now they're starting in on "Charlotte's Web."

After our recent endeavor to renew my driver's license, Tess has been playing "DMV" with her doll. "See, she sit right here and wait for her number. Her number is E43."

Tess is very excited about our discovery last night that Drew has started to cut a tooth. When she woke up this morning she asked me, "Drew got 2 teeth now? You know why I so get-cited for Drew have 2 teeth? So he can crunch."

I was proud of how Tess handled a big disappointment when we got turned away from the overcrowded puppet show at the library today: "I know! We can go home and paint our own puppets!" And that we did.

Tess pointed to the home page on our computer and said: "Google. That a funny word!"

Tess was washing her hands in the bathroom and I asked if she needed her stool. "No thanks, Mom. I'm a big kid now."

I was looking at Mom & Dad's blog today when Tess pointed to the screen and said, "Mom, why that say Dipsy?" I guess we can add that to the list of words she can read.

A refrain I hear from Tess nearly every day: "Mom, I got good idea in my head! We can have a party celebration! [Jumping up and down.] I can do decorations and we have balloons and CAKE!"

Tess wanted to do a craft, but Drew was screaming and I needed to get him a bottle. Tess' solution: "Mom, I do my craft myself. You can feed Drew a bottle and watch Oprah."

Tess kissed Drew on the ear and said, "You know, Mom, that my favorite spot?"

When I told Tess it was time to get ready for bed, she said: "I no like night-night time! It not my favorite weather."

At dinner, Tess reached her foot out to touch Drew's foot while he was sitting in his highchair. "Mom, I'm giving Drew a foot snuggle."

Tonight Tess prefaced several of her comments with "I'm sorry." As we walked inside the house, she said to me (Ryan), "I'm sorry, it's a mess." Later she said, "I'm sorry, Mom got you this snack bar" and she handed it to me.

Tess, speaking of our recent visit to Comet Ping Pong (a restaurant with ping pong tables): "Dad, you know you was good at playing ping pong. I was bad at playing ping pong."

"I have an idea! We can have a beach vacation here! We can get out towels and relax and have chairs. Ahhh! And you have a drink and sit like this [stretching her legs out with her hands folded behind her neck.] You wanna do that? You wanna relax here with a beach vacation?"

Tess has been talking quite a bit about what kind of worker she wants to be. I mentioned to her that she could be a doctor, and she immediately said that she wanted to be one. Tess asked me to set up an doctor's office for her, decorated with paintings of butterflies or rainbows. I asked her, "What kind of doctor do you want to be, Tess? You could be a doctor for the eyes or the ears or the brain or the heart." Tess replied: "I wanna be a doctor for the brain. I love brains." {RKH}

Sunday morning, Dipsy was showing Tess kids' drawings from the Church's Children's Art Exhibit online. I overheard Dipsy explain to Tess: "See Tess? That's a picture of someone getting baptized! Wait. Um, is that a turtle? I think it's actually a picture of a turtle." Something tells me that kid doesn't have much of a future as an artist.

1 comments:

Maureen said...

I like her "pity laugh." The Roderick Rules movie was good!