Sunday, November 2, 2014

October 2014 Tidbits


Papa H. (talking to Drew on the phone on Halloween night): "Drew, are you going to put your candy in your room?"
Drew: "In my mouth."

Every day I pick Drew up from preschool, he announces very loudly: "Mom, I REE-WEE BRAVE TODAY! I REE-WEE BRAVE!" It always makes the carpool helper laugh.

Tess finally has her first loose tooth and it's getting pretty wiggly. Last night she had a strange dream about a talking onion that had a face, legs, arms and hands. Her account: "I said to the onion, 'Onion, you have such small hands. Will you wiggle my tooth for me?' And he did. It was a good dream."

When Drew gets really excited to say something at bedtime he says, "Hey, hey, hey, hey..."


Drew: "How the dinosaurs walked to the museum?"

Drew on waking Halloween morning, before he even opened his eyes: "It time for trick-or-treating now?"

I was walking the campus of George Mason University with Tess and we were talking college.
Tess' take: "So college is kind of like a little practice time to see what it's like to be an adult and live all by yourself without your mom and dad."
Yeah, kind of like that.
"So it's kind like they start in preschool to take you away for just a little while so you can get used to it. And then you go to school and you do it for a little more and a little more, until college when they take you away for years."
Yes, Tess. Every year we push you that much closer to the edge of the nest. You've figured out our master plan.

Drew: "Trick-or-treating makes me tired. We have to get candy all the time. I want you go for me."

Conversation while brushing Drew's teeth:
Ryan: "Drew, Green Lantern can make lots of green things like a green rope or a green shield."
Drew: "And green mouthwash?"

Drew: "Dad, we got to get some more Halloween stuff. We got to do that. We need to get a spider and a spider web."

Today we pulled out my telescope from ca. 1983 to take a look out the window.
Ryan: "Drew, did you know I had this telescope when I was a boy?"
Drew: "It old fashioned?"
Ryan: "Yes, it's old fashioned."
Drew: "Like the dinosaurs?"
Ryan: "Yes, like the dinosaurs."

Drew: "Dad, we need to get more Halloween stuff!"
Ryan: "Like what?"
Drew: "Like ribbons."
Ryan: "Where do we get Halloween stuff?"
Drew: "Michael's. That's a good place."

Drew: "Dad, I'm getting bigger."
Ryan: "Drew, what are you doing to get bigger?"
Drew: "I'm eating lots of food."
Ryan: "What kind of food are you eating?"
Drew: "Noodles."

We were out as a family and I left the kids in the car with Ryan while I ran inside to do an errand. While I was gone, Drew protested: "I need mommy!" To which Ryan responded: "I'm your dad and I'm right here. I can take care of you." To which Tess chimed in: "Sometimes you just need your mommy."

Drew singing in the car: "Up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down." We asked him: "Why are you singing 'up and down?'" Drew: "A cause it's my swing song!"

Drew visited a pumpkin patch with Miriam. We looked at photos together later. One photo showed Drew feeding food pellets to a "coot goat."
Ryan: "Drew, what did you feed the goat?"
Drew (in all seriousness): "Poop."

Drew: "Dad, last night while I was sleeping I heard a raccoon inside our house."

Tess was quite surprised to see a copy of the Bible at the public library.
Tess: "Dad, why do they have a copy of the 'Holy Bible' at the library?"
Ryan: "People might want to read it."
Tess: "You'd have to check it out a hundred times to finish it because it's so long."

Looking at a copy of a photograph of himself and Tess last year for Easter, Drew commented, "I looked really good there."

While Drew and I were walking in Washington, D.C., a man wearing a green jacket passed us.
Drew: "Dad, do you know that guy?"
Ryan: "No."
Drew: "Dad, that guy an alien?
Ryan: "No, I don't think so. Why?"
Drew: "He look like an alien. His hair like this [he pulls up a few tufts of his own hair to form an antenna]."

While driving with Mir to pick up Dipsy from the airport, Drew threw up in the car. As Dipsy said goodbye to Drew at the end of her trip, Drew said, "Please, can I take Dipsy to the airport? I promise not to throw up at the end."

Drew (after jumping on some pillows): "Dad, I had an adventure. I had a good adventure."

Drew has deemed himself quite knowledgeable about several subjects. "I know all about cooking." "I know all about dinosaurs." "I know all about airplanes."

Drew: "Dad, you're the best dad ever."
Ryan: "How come?"
Drew: "'Cause I love you!"

1 comments:

Dipsy said...

These comments are priceless! I am so glad you make the effort to write them down. They would make an awesome book!