Monday, February 13, 2012

What Do Squirrels Like to Eat?

Today during "homework" time, Tess and I noticed some squirrels in our backyard.  We devised an experiment to find out what squirrels like to eat.  I recently read this post on teaching kids about the scientific method, so we drew up our own data sheet.  (We don't, however, have lab coats and safety goggles.  We may need to get some of those.)


Tess informed me:  "If you want to say hypothesis in a funny way, you can call it a hippopotamus."  She  deduced the conclusions on her own and drew her own pictures for the conclusions section.  I love the picture of the squirrel running away with her behind the sliding glass door.  I also like the squirrel NOT liking the cheese. 

I later noticed that Tess, the consummate perfectionist, put a check mark next to the "correct" hypothesis.          


Tess and Drew both got a kick out of this experiment, so we may have more experimenting to do in the future (if I can find infant and toddler-sized safety googles).  I might also add that I was truly surprised how those quickly the squirrels devoured the nuts and that those scavengers actually left the cheese untouched.  They must have a good stash of acorns in the trees behind us.  

You learn something new every day!

4 comments:

Dipsy said...

Viva la science!
Papa

Maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maureen said...

The squirrel pics are adorable!

Ann said...

That is Awesome!! So fun for Tess (and Miriam!)