Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mormania

It's been a busy week for church activities. I just finished my much anticipated entry for the Lake Ridge I Ward's Home Video Contest. My only regret is that I wasn't able to get it done in time for consideration by the Academy as the year's best live action short film. I'm hoping to at least sweep the awards at our Ward Activity tonight.




During production (which went overschedule--I spent WAY too much time on this!), it occurred to me that as a consequence of my activity in the LDS church, I commonly find myself doing things I'd never imagine I'd be doing.

I've had that thought before, and I had it earlier this week when I was making obscene amounts of beef with broccoli for the Cub Scout Blue & Gold Banquet (Chinese New Year theme--Gung hay fat choy!). A whole lotta beef and a whole lotta broccoli. The same thought occurred to me while I was gathering cotton balls for the Chinese Chopstick Relay.




















During our planning meeting for the dinner, one of our Cub leaders was struck with the irresistible urge to make something out of Jell-O. Evidently this happens to every Mormon woman at least once in her life, a rite of passage I've yet to experience. She showed up at the banquet with an impressive likeness of the Chinese flag made entirely out of--you guessed it--Jell-O. It was awesome (in the literal meaning of that word)--you have to love being a Mormon!

With all the time and energy required, I sometimes wonder about the fruit of my efforts. I got a nice email this week that reminded me why I do all this.

I did a Sharing Time a few months ago called the "M217 Mystery." I made a big "mystery book" filled with clues about the scripture Mosiah 2:17 and the kids had to figure out what the scripture was and what it meant. I encouraged the kids to memorize the scripture. A couple weeks later I did Sharing Time again and had a treat for anyone who could recite it. I gave them a few minutes to practice and they all passed it off, even the few kids we have with learning disabilities (this was only for Sr. Primary). Anyway, here's the text of the email:

"I thought you would like to know, we were reading our scriptures the other day, in Mosiah. When we got to Mosiah 2:17 my children, spoke up and said, remember M 2:17. This one is about service. And then quoted it without even looking in the book. So my kids remembered your lesson in church. Thought you would like to know. Thanks for working so hard."

They offered to release me from Primary when I had Tess. It would be a lot less work, but I would really miss being in Primary. I love the kids in our Primary--they've been my kids when I couldn't have my own. So they're worth it.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Miriam,

I LOVE your baby. That was the sweetest and funniest video! Tess is so beautiful. And the song was dang funny.

Now to the Blue and Gold Dinner. Marc and I and the kids attended this year because Marc is the bishopric member over scouts. We had a Chinese New Year theme too! I wonder if it was church wide. I was jokingly asking where the spaghetti was. Instead there were tables full of delicious Chinese food. It was an amazing dinner!

Primary: Don't you just love when you do something that makes an impression! Good job!

Ryan said...

Ann--yep, the theme is actually Cub Scout wide. Wow--that really is whole lot of beef and broccoli when you stop to think about it!

Mir

Unknown said...

That is the BEST video ever!!! I loved it. What is Tessabelle wearing for the Red Carpet? Don't forget to put some baby mascara on her!

I heard Ryan can't wait to clean the church. I am sure he won't find too many Cheerios in the chapel!

Maureen said...

Such a cute video, it made me laugh! And way to go with your primary calling... I would've jumped at the chance to be calling-free for a couple months!

I do have to say I'm MILDLY disapppointed that there were no cabbage patch kids involved (much less kung fu) but you still did a fine job :)