Thursday, July 1, 2010

June 2010 Tidbits

Tess has dubbed one of her "Jesus Songs" the "Donut Song." Can you guess which one? "Family history, I am donut, my family history!" And it's about 40 mins into to her CD, which tells you how long it takes for her to fall asleep at naptime.

Tess has a new phrase she uses to escalate the intensity of her pleas when she really wants something: "Please! PLEEAASSE! I promise that!" She doesn't really know what "promise" means--she just knows it makes her pleas more heartfelt.

Lately Tess has been interested in outer space. Ryan told her that to get to space, you need to wear a space suit and ride in a space shuttle. Tess surprised him by adding, "I take a helmet!"

In keeping with Tess recent "space" kick, last night during dinner she held one of her beans above her head and started waving it around in a circle. Then she said, "Around, around, around! A space bean!"

Today Tess & I were talking about all the people we'll get to play with on our Idaho trip, and I told her it was going to be a big party. She got very excited, jumped in the air and said, "A cake! A big, BIG cake!" Then she put her finger in the air and said, "A cherry on top!"

Any time Tess spots an American flag; something red, white and blue; or anything remotely patriotic, she yells out: "OBAMA!" Guess that's what you get for growing up in D.C.

Today Tess spotted an airplane way up in the sky and said, "Look! I see Papa!"

Every morning, we watch Curious George, followed by Team Umizoomi, which is on a different channel. Today when George ended, Tess said, "Push it Mom. Push the black button." Meaning: "change the channel on the remote control."

My new favorite Tess word: "ahpahpus." Rare sitings of an ahpahpus have been recorded while eating Nemo fruit snacks and catching a clandestine peek at Spongebob Squarepants.

Tonight at the Higginbothams', Tess told Ry, "I give Papa hugs, but no kisses. I shy."

To Tess' surprise, she discovered a bird had pooped on her car window. "Ewww, gross!" she said. "Bird needs an eraser!"

At church today, Tess wouldn't go around the corner by herself to the water fountain. Her reasoning: "I scared of bears."

Today when I turned on the classical radio station in the car, Tess said, "Listen, Mom! Violins singing!"

Recently we've been ending dinner with a family symphony led by Tess. She tells us what instruments we have and what songs to play. Tonight Ryan played the violin and I was on the horn. Tess always gets to play the drums (i.e., a spoon on her plate), and she concludes the number by bowing. Our rendition of "Twinkle, Twinkle" was masterful.

Today I told Tess that our bubble-blowing session had to come to an end because I needed to do some work. She said, "OK, mom. I do my work too. I do my bubbles work."

Tonight at dinner Tess was being a bit frustrating as she stubbornly refused to eat the last bean on her plate. Instead, she'd pick up a tiny shred of cheese and, with belabored effort, chew it very slowly. In exasperation, Ry sighed, put his forehead in his hand, and shook his head. Tess looked at me and said, "Daddy mad."

Lessons in Object Permanence:
Lately Tess likes to point out when things go missing--specifically her bum. She often worries when she sits down, "Where my bum go?" Same for when her dolls have a seat: "Where Cookie's bum go?" "Where Dora's bum go?" Then she has to pick them up and double check their bottoms are still in place. Today she was concerned about my missing feet when I was driving. She's also been looking for her knees when they are covered by pants. "Where my knees go?"

Equal Opportunity Tess:
Today when Tess saw a mailtruck drive by, she said, "Look, Momma! Mailman."
I replied, "You saw a mailman?"
"No, Momma. A lady."
"A maillady?"
"Yes, Momma."

Tess has a new phrase whenever she hears a bit of bad news: "Awww, Ma-a-a-a-n!"

Tess found an empty paper towel roll today, held it up to her eye and said, "Look, Mom! Binoculators!"

"Tess, how much does mom love you?"
"A BIG much!"

I picked up a paperback copy of Thomas Hardy's novel "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" from the kitchen table and showed it to Tess, who was sitting next to the table in her high chair. I asked her, "Look, Tess, what is the name of this book?" She ignored the question and said, rather pointedly, "Put that back over there." (After I related the exchange to Miriam, and we were laughing, Tess commented, "That was funny!")

0 comments: